Here are pictures of the kitchen remodel we did on our home. We were hoping to complete our project on a budget, yet wanted to make it look great and be highly functional.
1) Measuring Service: $49.00
2) Cabinet Installation: $1,966.55
3) Ikea Purchase Materials, Appliances, Countertop, and Misc. (No Refrigerator): $12,544.99
- Breakdown of Parts in this receipt
- Dishwasher: $564.63
- Microwave: $564.63
- Oven: $782.13
- Cooktop: $867.13
- Cabinets and Misc: $5,201.67
- Countertop: $4,564.80
- Total: 12,544.99
4) Disposal: $178.04
5) Plumbing: $250.00
6) Corbels for Countertop: $61.19
7) Upgrade for Seamless Countertops: $750.80
8) Refrigerator: $1,266.69
- $7,467.22: Cabinets, install, delivery, and misc.
- $4,223.25: Appliances.
- $5,376.79: Countertop.
Final Total: $17,067.22
Note: If we needed to pare down this expense, we might have done it this way:
- Corian or other solid surface countertop: $2,000
- Cabinets, install, misc: $6,700 (removing lazy susans)
- Appliances: $2,350 (Dishwasher: $500, microwave: $200, oven: $400, cooktop: $400, refrigerator: $750, disposal: $100)
- Install: $1,966.55
Total if Pared Down: $13,016.55
- Ikea gives a 25-year warranty on their cabinets, which I thought was unbelievable.
- The Ikea appliances appear with names like Framtid and Nutid, but they seem to be made by Whirlpool.
If you’re thinking of remodeling your kitchen, I highly recommend checking out Ikea. Make a day of it; drive to Ikea Burbank and get a feel for what they offer. They have about 10 kitchen models to look at.
- Go to Ikea Burbank and preview their models
- Measure your kitchen space
- Plan some ideas for your kitchen using the kitchen design software on Ikea.com (or pay Ikea $250 for their design service).
- Bring your kitchen design in to Ikea or pull it up on one of their computers. The staff is extremely friendly and willing to help with advice and suggestions.
- Order the Ikea measuring service, a $49 warranty that your kitchen will fit.
- Place the order with Ikea for the cabinetry, install, and countertop (after the measuring service confirms the dimensions).
- Select your granite slab.
- Schedule install.
- Schedule the countertop install for a few days after the Ikea install is scheduled to be complete.
- Make sure to install corbels (supports) if your countertop overhangs by more than 10 inches. You could also pay the countertop installers an additional fee to have them install the supports.
Overall, we are extremely satisfied with our purchase. While the cabinetry isn’t custom, it looks and feel great and customized. Features like pull-out drawers, lazy Susans, and the slow/soft close hinges that most of the doors and drawers have truly make this feel like a much more expensive kitchen.
- Ikea has 20%-off sales on kitchen cabinets 3-4 times per year. This is a great way to save money on a large purchase.
- Purchase all of your accessories, and more, for your kitchen when you place the order for your actual kitchen. You only receive 20% off everything if you spend $4,500 or more.
- The delivery fee to Ventura is $99. Lump purchases for as much as you can think of into the delivery. The fee is $99 if you order 1 cabinet or 30.
- Scan or copy the originals of all of your receipts, but make sure to keep the originals; you will need the originals for warranty claims.